Restore the Spark in Your Relationship with Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy at NewPoint of View Counseling
“Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” -Maya Angelou
Do you feel distant from your partner? Our primary goal as your relationship therapist is to recreate the beautiful, loving, and fulfilling life you envisioned when you first became a couple. Couples counseling can help create and strengthen the emotional bond between you and your partner by focusing on what is working in your relationship and changing what is not.
At NewPoint of View Counseling, we specialize in using Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), which concentrates on helping couples to heal their wounds of disconnection; resulting from patterns and styles of insecure, avoidant, and ambivalent attachment bonds.
We tend to compare our relationship to those of the people around us. We also come to our partner with an idea of what the perfect relationship looks like. Couples therapy will focus on helping to create and strengthen the emotional bond between you and your partner, by identifying negative interaction cycles and transforming those moments to form a secure and loving relationship. You will learn to increase your ability to be safely vulnerable with each other. You will develop insight into old hurts and assumptions that show up as old arguments. These wounds are sometimes the result of old programming you received in your family of origin; that remain unresolved and get easily triggered in the present.
How do you know if the existing problems are going to become life-long issues? Read through the questions below regarding common relationship issues to see if couples counseling might be the difference for you and your partner.
- Do you sometimes wish you could take a vacation from your life?
- Are you and your partner stuck in a never-ending loop of anger and frustration?
- Do you feel that you talk at each other, rather than to each other?
- Are you spending more time with other people, on social media, staring at your phone/computer screen, or working longer hours just to avoid spending time together?
- Have you lost trust in one another?
- Do you find yourself arguing about money, parenting, or your in-laws?
- Has the intimacy, laughter, playfulness, or sexual energy in your relationship faded?
- Do you feel the need to exert control over your partner’s actions, whereabouts or relationships?
- Do you rely on your partner to fill your sense of loneliness or unworthiness while resenting them for feeling this way?
- Do you think your partner should complete you, and get angry that he/she doesn’t?
- Is your partner isolating you from healthy family members and relationships?
- Is there emotional or physical abuse in your relationship?
- Do you feel powerless or stuck, wanting to change and not knowing how?
- Is there infidelity in your relationship?
If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are here to help you. NewPoint of View Counseling provides a safe space for you and your partner to communicate, share your “wants” and “needs”, and stop the blame game.
The Relationship Counseling Process:
De-escalate your negative cycle of interactions.
Restructure the communication between you and your partner in such a way that it doesn’t create emotional distance with one another.
Reveal how you developed these negative patterns in order to form a secure and loving relationship.